Lutheran Child & Family Service of Michigan and Boys and Girls Republic Merge Operations

Primary tabs

lcfslogoTwo organizations, each with over a century of service to some of Michigan’s neediest, merge to expand their capacity to provide residential services to children and families.

Lutheran Child & Family Service (LCFS) of Michigan and Boys and Girls Republic (BGR), Farmington Hills, MI announced today they have signed a definitive agreement combining their operations. LCFS of Michigan will continue operations as Lutheran Child & Family Service of Michigan, Inc. and will adopt and maintain use of the name “Boys and Girls Republic” with respect to programs and services conducted on the campus located at 28000 West Nine Mile Road in Farmington Hills.

According to Dr. Robert G. Miles, President/CEO of LCFS of Michigan, “The merger is a wonderful opportunity for two organizations with tremendously rich histories to come together. This will expand our capacity and capabilities resulting in a more robust, diverse and enhanced array of services to better meet the changing needs of youth and families in the 21st century. Ultimately, the success of this merger will be realized in the achievement and advancement of people’s dreams. Brighter and more productive futures are our goals.”

The merger agreement, which is expected to take effect in mid- to late April 2008, has been submitted to the Michigan Attorney General’s office for final approval. For further information, please see our website at www.lcfsmi.org.

About Lutheran Child & Family Service of Michigan

  • Formed in 1899, LCFS of Michigan is rooted in the philosophy that – ordinary citizens who believe in a particular cause, in our case the welfare and future of children, and provide the needed contributions have developed life-changing initiatives that have yielded tremendous results over the past 108 years.

About Boys and Girls Republic

  • Boys and Girls Republic has long served the social service needs of Southeastern Michigan.  Founded in Detroit and incorporated in the state in 1890 as the Home of Industry, BGR was the first Michigan institution to separate the youthful offender from the adult rehabilitative system.  In 1907, the agency moved to its current setting in Farmington Hills.  In 118 years of service, BGR has been in the forefront of dealing with at-risk youth.

NEWS RELEASE
For immediate release
April 4, 2008

Contact: Marc Melton or Noreen Haggerty
Agency: Lutheran Child & Family Service of Michigan Boys and Girls Republic Campus
E-mail: mmelton@lcfsmi.org  nhaggerty@lcfsmi.org 
Phone:    248-968-0100 ext. 272        248-476-9550

Share this