Youth Specialist - New Group Home!
All times are in Eastern Daylight Time.
Hours Per Pay Period
3:00 p.m. - 11:00 p.m.
Weekends and/or Holidays Required
On Call Required
More information about this job
Samaritas, one of the state's largest faith-based nonprofits, has been sending ripples of positive change into Michigan communities since 1934. Prior to 2016, Samaritas operated as Lutheran Social Services of Michigan.
Samaritas provides a continuum of care to all in need with approximately 70 different programs in 40 different locations in Michigan. We believe in diversity and inclusion, for the people we serve and the people we employ. Employing nearly 2,000 employees in opportunities ranging from direct service to management in Michigan's Lower Peninsula, we hope that you will consider joining the Samaritas team and help work in making a difference in communities across Michigan.
We walk with people in need, offering hope and compassion while upholding their dignity, advocating for equality and justice, and seeking creative solutions with those who place their trust in us.
Provides direct supervision of youth in a residential setting and in accordance with the Refugee Individual Living Plus programs.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Establish a family-like environment in the residence that includes modeling supporting behaviors and expectations.
- Assist youth with participating in daily schedule and routine, including but not limited to meal preparation, medication administration, developing independent skills, and preparing and organizing activities.
- Provide transportation for youth to appointments according to outlined safety rules.
- Monitor overnight activity at the home.
Education, Training, and Licensure/Certification
- High school diploma or equivalency preferred.
- Ability to learn de-escalation techniques and become CPR and first aid certified.
- Direct care experience in a mental health field or working with vulnerable adults preferred.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities
- Ability to read, write and speak fluent English; Spanish preferred.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Good communication skills with ability to work compassionately and display sensitivity to persons served.
Additional Work Requirements
- Unrestricted valid driver's license with good driving record. Reliable personal transportation suitable for safely transporting persons served; proof of current automobile insurance.
Physical and Mental Requirements
- Near visual acuity.
- Hand-eye coordination.
- Hand and finger dexterity.
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
- Ability to move freely about the facility.
- May be subject to hot temperatures of cooking appliances.
- Ability to maneuver up and down staircases.
- Ability to stoop, bend and lift arms over head.
Apply for this position online
Email this position to a friend
Share on your newsfeed
Go back to the welcome page