Human Resources Director
About Covenant House
Covenant House Michigan is a faith-based nonprofit organization that provides hope to homeless, runaway and at-risk youth ages 18-24. We provide shelter, educational and vocational programs, as well as other support services, to help overcome hurdles such as homelessness, unemployment, inadequate education, violence, drugs and gangs. Our goal is to redirect them onto a path toward meaningful and successful adulthood.
CHM has come to be known by Detroit area young people as a place they can go to build a better future and be treated with respect and unconditional love. Over 60,000 youths have been served by CHM since its inception in September 1997.
We are looking for a dedicated and passionate Human Resources professional interested in bringing their HR skills and talents to our mission-driven team. The Director will be responsible for the overall administration of all aspects of the HR function including; employee relations, benefits administration, training and development, performance management, policy development and staffing and recruitment.
This position reports to the Executive Director and is an exempt, full-time position located at our offices in Detroit, Michigan.
- Develop and manage HR strategies that align with organizational and financial goals; act as a strategic partner to the Executive Director and Board of Directors in advancing the vision and mission of CHM.
- Recruit, hire and train new employees.
- Develop and deliver ongoing training and development programs for employees; develop employee recognition and engagement programs.
· Administer and monitor benefit packages such as compensation, health insurance, leaves & time-off policies.
- Develop and update employee policies, procedures and guidelines; maintain Employee Handbook.
- Direct performance management system and process; manage the employee appraisal process.
- Maintain CHM’s HRIS (Abra Suite)
- Prepare and deliver a variety of presentations and reports as required and/or requested by internal and external partners.
- Comply with local, state, and federal employment law requirements; stay current with new and revised employment legislation; advise CHM leadership accordingly.
HR Director Job Announcement, continued…
Qualifications / Requirements
- Service oriented and results-driven professional approach while establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with internal and external partners.
- Demonstrated computer literacy skills including familiarity with MS Office Suite.
- Excellent communication skills; verbal and written.
- Valid Michigan driver’s license with clean driving record.
- Awareness of homeless and at-risk youth issues.
- Sincere desire to make a difference in the lives of Michigan’s youth though the support, development and leadership of CHM staff.
Education & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Resources, Training & Development or related field required; Master’s degree preferred.
- Minimum 3 –5 years’ experience in human resources management including supervisory experience.
- Previous non-profit experience strongly desired.
- HR Certification preferred but not required.
Covenant House is an Equal Opportunity Employer. To learn more about us, visit: www.covenanthousemi.org.
To apply for this position, submit cover letter and resume to: Amy Maple, Executive Assistant.
Email: (email@example.com) or fax: (313.463.2121)