Foster Care Case Manager
Location: Redford, MI
Department: Child Welfare
Type: Full Time
Min. Experience: Mid Level
MCHS offers a wealth of benefits for our employees including: generous paid holidays & time off, full benefits (100% of premiums covered by the employer; no cost to you), a wonderful 80 acre campus, tuition reimbursement, pension plan, and a dedication to growth & promotion from within.
The Foster Care Case Manager acts as an advocate for children and families by working in conjunction with the state and courts to place abused, neglected or abandoned children into temporary foster homes to prepare them to return home or move to a permanent placement; provides professional contracted case management services to children, birth parents, and foster parents; formulates and assesses case plans and appears in court when necessary.
DUTIES & ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
To be successful, a Foster Care Case Manager must be able to do the following always:
- Oversee and ensure the well-being of the child as well as the birth and foster family by providing casework and supportive services; ensure services are completed for the child and family, following up as necessary; provide referrals to the child and the birth parents.
- Formulate case plans, write case reports, complete required legal documentation, and maintain case records within agency and DHS time frames and requirements; perform associated office work, such as compiling statistics, preparing reports, maintaining files as necessary.
- Represent the agency in court, accurately testify to the progress of cases; attend all required hearings and meetings pursuant to cases, clients, children, and families; make assessments and recommendations based on the best interest of the child.
- Operate within the guidelines of agency and DHS policies and procedures and the program’s Operations Manual.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a human behavioral science such as Social Work or a related discipline where 25% of the course credits earned toward the degree are in human behavioral sciences with one (1) to three (3) years’ experience in a social services agency required;
- Masters of Social Work (MSW) with experience working in a foster care program preferred.
- Child Welfare Training Institute (CWTI) training required.
The Knowledge of:
- Computer and software applications (Windows, MS Office, Internet applications, etc.) necessary to perform the duties of the position.
- Principles and practices of social work, including the NASW Code of Ethics.
- Michigan Department of Human Services policies and procedures.
- Family and child dynamics.
The Skills and Ability to:
- Effectively engage children and adults.
- Manage time and multiple priorities, meet deadlines.
- Communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other agencies, and the public.
- Exercise professional judgment in making decisions.
- Handle sensitive and confidential situations and documentation.
- Attend training and maintain necessary certifications and licenses.
- Maintain a Michigan driver’s license and driving record that allows the operation of an agency or personal vehicle for agency business or to transport clients as needed.
A current resume and cover letter must be included as part of your online application.
Equal Opportunity Employer - M/F/D/V