Interpreter / Translator / Transporter – (On Call) – Direct Link: https://www.appone.com/MainInfoReq.asp?R_ID=2070961
For 70 years, St. Vincent Catholic Charities (STVCC) has worked to provide help and create hope for the most vulnerable members of the Greater Lansing community. One of the largest human services agencies in the area, STVCC is the charitable arm of the Diocese of Lansing, serving children and families in crisis through adoption, foster care, refugee resettlement, immigration legal and counseling services as well as through a therapeutic Children's Home for children who have experienced severe abuse and neglect. CATEGORYInterpreter CLOSE DATE
Current Languages Needed: Rohingya and Swahili
Provide direct support to clients as directed, deemed or appropriate at the request and/or direction of supervisory staff. Direct support includes interpretation and translation of documents and transportation services relating to clients, program and agency. Forges mutually respectful partnerships with persons served and their families to assist them in gaining skills and confidence to address the problems and issues they face. Sets limits and maintains the helping role of the practitioner and intervenes appropriately to meet the needs of the persons or family members served. Believes in the capacity of people to grow and change. Provide interpretation & translation services, both within the Agency/Program and to outside the Agency partners, if applicable. Provide transportation, as deemed necessary, from the airport (arrival), for DHS. Social Security, health appointments, employment services clothing, supportive services, etc. Case note all appropriate contacts and activities as directed.
*This is an on call position, hours fluctuate and are not guaranteed*
EXEMPT/NON-EXEMPTNon-Exempt FULL-TIME/PART-TIMEOn-Call HOURSThis is an on call position, hours fluctuate and are not guaranteed LOCATIONSt. Vincent Catholic Charities - Lansing OPEN DATE7/20/2018 POSITION REQUIREMENTS
High School education. Preferred is directly related experience.
Fluency in Rohingya and/or Swahili is required. Additional relevant languages such as Arabic, Burmese, Chaldean, Chin, Dari, Farsi, French, Fulbe, Fulani, Karenni, Kurdish, Lingala, Nepali, Pashtu, Somali and/or Spanish are desirable. Prefer ability to work beyond the parameters of posted Agency/Program hours of operation as necessary to complete Job Responsibilities.
The physical demands and work environment described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Emotionally able to work with information that may be traumatic in nature, as well as, work with individuals or families in crisis or experiencing trauma.
- Ability to stand and/or walk up to 8 hours per shift.
- Work involves talking, stooping, squatting, twisting, climbing, kneeling, hearing, using hands to handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms.
- Vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- May be required to push, pull, lift, and/or carry up to 25 pounds.
- Ability to sit and use computer workstation, including keyboard and visual display terminal for extended periods of time.
- Noise in the work environment is usually moderately quiet but can be very loud at times.
- Work in an environment with various degrees of discomfort.
- Driving throughout the day as needed.
POST INTERNAL DAYS0 ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
SHIFTDays EOE STATEMENTWe are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law. FULL JOB DESCRIPTIONInterpreter-Transporter.docx
BENEFITS INFORMATIONNone Specified