Bilingual Cultural Mentor and Interpreter Reception and Placement Samaritas New Americans
***This position is a unpaid/volunteer position***
Languages needed: Arabic, Dari, or Farsi
Assists in providing direct services to newly arrived refugees and administrative assistance to Samaritas through the Reception and Placement program. The Reception and Placement program provides supportive services to refugees during their first 90-days in the United States. The Bilingual Cultural Mentor and Interpreter will be trained and supervised by Samaritas staff throughout the service period.
Job Expectations (Essential Functions, Specific Duties and Responsibilities)
1. Assist with conducting Cultural Orientation to newly arrived refugees and assessing their understanding of the topics throughout the 90-day resettlement period.
2. Provide interpretation for Case Managers during airport receptions, home visits, school enrollment, and other applicable services.
3. Report activities and volunteer hours on a weekly basis to the AmeriCorps Cultural Orientation Coordinator.
4. Other duties as assigned.
1. Education, Training, and Licensure/Certification
Bachelor’s degree preferred or pursuing an undergraduate degree in political science, international relations, social work, law/justice, human rights, or related field required.
2. Time Commitment
Attend mandatory Refugee Cultural Mentorship & Interpreter Training
Complete weekly 1-hour home visits with refugees for a minimum of 3 months
Hours can be completed during normal business hours from Monday-Friday 8:30 am-5:00 pm or during weekends (days and times are flexible)
Knowledge and/or interest with immigration or refugee resettlement programs
4. Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Must be proficient in Arabic, Dari, or Farsi.
Exceptional interpersonal skills required.
Clear oral and written communication skills required.
Knowledge of Microsoft Office programs required.
Demonstrate cultural competence and ability to work in a diverse workplace.
Ability to establish and maintain professional, effective business relationships
***To apply for this position, please send resume to: Dena Masters, Human Resources, Samaritas at firstname.lastname@example.org.